SOFTSKILL MEETING 3
NOTE : RED FOR A
PURPLE FOR B
GREEN FOR C
BLUE FOR D
1. Which of following is NOT true?
Answer : C. Battles were interrupted to participate in the games.
Because, In paragraph one the statement is … any wars in progress were halted to allow the games to take place. Battle were not interrupted it’s to allow the games to take place.
2. The word “elite” in line 5 is closets in meaning to..
Answer : A. Aristocracy
Because, both of word have the same meaning ; the most powerful members of a society.
3. Why were the Olympic Games held?
Answer : B. To honor Zeus
Because, In first paragraph of story explained …of Mounth Olympus to honor the Greeks’ chief god, Zeus.
4. Approximately how many years ago did these games originate?
Answer : B. 1200 years.
Because, This is 2012 year and the games held in 776 so until now it’s 1236 years ago or approximately 1200 years.
5. What conclusion can we draw about ancient Greeks?
Answer : B. They believed athletic events were important
Because, The fourth sentence in the first paragraph of story ; The Greeks emphasized physical fitness and strength to their education of youth. So they believed that event were important to their prestige.
6. What is the main idea of these passage?
Answer : A. Physical fitness was an integral part of the lives of ancient Greeks.
Because, The article’s contain all about the Olympic Games and focused about The Greeks that emphasized physical fitness and strength to their education of youth.
7. In line 14, the word “dedds” is closets in meaning to..
Answer : A. Accomplishments
Because, in the paragraph dedds is the winner so it closets meaning with accomplishment that meaning ‘penyelesaian/pencapaian’. ”seorang pemain dinyatakan menang jika sudah menyelesaikan permainannya / mencapai kemenangan”.
8. Which of the following was ultimately required of all these athletes competing in the Olympics?
Answer : C. They had to be Greek males with no criminal record
Because, Only the elite and military could participate first , but the later games were open to all free Greek males who had no criminal record.
9. The word “ halted” in the line 16 means most nearly the same as..
Answer : C. Curtailed
Because, the other answer has the same meaning that is push/start/still. So it was not match with the word because …any wars in progress were halted to allow the games to take place.
10. What is an “Olympiad”?
Answer : B. The time between games
Because, statement in the second paragraph ; The Greeks attached so much importance to the games that they calculate time in four years cycle called “Olympiads”.
1. The defendant refused to answer the prosecutor’s questions
Answer : C. Because he was afraid it would incriminate him
Because, it match with tense complete with dependent clause and independent clause.
2. Mrs. Walker has returned ……
Answer : D. The wallet to its original owner
Because, if we translate the sentence into Indonesian language option D is the perfect answer because originally the meaning is ‘awalnya’.
3. The hospital owes ….. .. for the construction of the new wing.
Answer : D. Twenty million of dollars to the government.
Because, if we translate the sentence into Indonesian language option D is the perfect answer.
4. Sarah……..that she could not attend classes next week.
Answer : D. Is telling her professors
Because, the sentence is present continous tense expresses an activity that is happening.
5. The artist was asked to show some paintings at the contest because…..
Answer : A. He painted very good
Because, the sentence is simple past tense it match with dependent clause and independent clause simple past tense.
6. If motorists do not observe the traffic regulations, they will be stopped, ticketed, and have to pay a fine.
Answer : If motorists do not observe the traffic regulations, they will be stopped, ticketed and fined.
Because, the sentence is pararellism stopped and ticketed are verb but have to pay a fine is clause.
7. Fred, who usually conduct the choir rehearsals, did not show up last night because he had an accident on his way to the practice.
Answer : Fred, who usually conduct the choir rehearsals, did not show up last night because he had had an accident on his way to the practice.
Because, the accident was happen before a particular time in the past so we should use past perfect tense.
8. A short time before her operation last month, Mrs. Carlyle dreams of her daughter who lives overseas.
Answer : A short time before her operation last month, Mrs. Carlyle had dreamed of her daughter who lives overseas.
Because, The dream was happen before a particular time in the past (before her operation) so we should use past perfect tense.
9. The atmosphere in Andalucia is open, warm, and gives a welcome feeling to all who have the good fortune to visit there.
Answer : The atmosphere in Andalucia is open, warm, and welcome to all who have the good fortune to visit there.
Because, open and warm are adjective and the sentence is pararellism because gives a welcome feeling is clause so we can change it with welcome as adjective.
10. Some of the people were standing in the street watched the parade, while others were singing songs.
Answer : Some of the people were standing in the street watching the parade, while others were singing songs.
Because, standing and singing are verb in present continous tense so watched agreement with both so it must be watching.